Since we had a special presentation on Citizen Juries last time at Designing Open Democracy, it’s now time for discussion on the short to medium term future and direction for this group. As usual, if anyone is in Melbourne, we would encourage you to come over to help suggest ideas on topics to cover over the next few months.
- Date: Friday, Nov 17, 2017, 6:30 PM
- Ross House Association, Inc.
- 247 Flinders Lane Melbourne, AU
If you are not in Melbourne but still want to attend, just let us know and we can try to get you in via video conferencing via Skype.
Podcast From Last Event
This is the recordings of our last meetup event on Citizen Juries. This is a good example of some of the topics we prefer to cover.
We have yet to work out a good podcast hosting place. But here is the podcast link from google drive. (Previously a rough cut is posted here as well, but this is V0.6 is updated to tighten up the introduction and various parts of the podcast for easier listening).
- 00:00:00 : Designing Open Democracy Intro
- 00:03:08 : Nicholas Gruen Introduction
- 00:27:04 : Huburtus Hofkirchner
- 00:53:43 : QA Starts Here
- 00:54:11 : Question: How do you introduce this idea to the general public?
- 00:56:49 : Questions: What sort of result do you need in the next election, before you can demonstrate to the public that this system can work?
- 00:57:21 : Question: Is there an algorithm to help select a citizen juries to make it as representative as possible?
- 01:01:54 : Question: Have you heard of any kind of meritocratic appointment system?
- 01:07:42 : Question: How would your system avoid corruption and manipulation?
- 01:14:07 : Nicholas Gruen & Huburtus Hofkirchner brief debate
- 01:24:25 : Question: Citizens can deal with issues, but are they dealing with the right issues?
- 01:27:37 : Question: How will citizen juries work within existing systems?
- 01:30:40 : Question: How do you hold your citizen juries party representative accountable?
- 01:36:39 : Question: Are you suggesting to have citizen juries replace the senate?
- 01:43:54 : Question: Host noted a question from a previous event. What are the main factors for the acceptance of citizen juries? Did the press humanise the citizen juries members?
- 01:44:57 : Nicholas Gruen’s difference to Ian Walker’s New Democracy approach
- 01:48:05 : Event conclusion speech