Dick Smith an influential businessman in Australia has released an updated manifesto. Which part do you think you agree or disagree with? Does he share any policies with ppau?
- Reduce Australia’s world record population growth – actually have a population plan – more people means less resources and wealth per capita
- Change our perpetual growth Ponzi-type economic system
- Fix the tax system so the wealthy multinationals and the 1% of wealthiest
Australians pay what they can easily afford
- Full openness of the tax paid by the 1% of our wealthiest Australians
- Tackle big business tax dodging by legislating full tax transparency
- Lowering corporate tax will create more inequality
- Reward tax avoidance whistle-blowers
- Encourage wealthy Australians to sign the Gates/Buffett “Giving Pledge”
- Reintroduce inheritance taxes for the wealthiest 1%
- Increase the tax on the wealthiest 15% by 15%
- Political donations
- He thinks there should be a new method for funding elections as an alternative to political donations.
- Home ownership
- Overseas aid to concentrate on assisting population stabilisation
- Facilitate union membership for the lowest paid workers
- Move away from GDP as a measure of success
- Measure and publicise the inequality index
- Consider the introduction of a living wage – or a shorter working week
- References “basic universal income” (Universial Basic Income) as one possible approach, or alternatively to shorten the work week without a reduction in remuneration.
- CEO wages to be limited by the average salary paid by that company
For more info about him:
He also launched this site: