Use Slack instead of IRC?

I use IRC for lots of other channels and servers, not just ppau. It works, is simple, is cross platform, and very light on system resources. I like my weechat client, as configured exactly how I want. Another platform will just use up my scarce resources. And I much prefer compiled software to interpreted sofware, I know going to be hard to hack.

Just found that there is a weechat matrix plugin

1 Like

Our planned Matrix implementation includes a PirateIRC bridge, existing IRC users wonā€™t be disadvantaged should they chose to stick with IRC as their connection method.

2 Likes

+1 for mattermost, there is an IRC bridge.

That right there addresses my sole concern with regards to backwards compatibility. Which means my use of znc in conjunction with any client I damn well feel like (not to mention my bot, ghostwheel), can continue as is.

1 Like

Conversations you can have on slack but dont really happen on our IRC:

From the Slack group Iā€™ve created and invited some pirates to, to test it out (all are welcome btw. you just have to pester an admin to join it).

An almost sensible slack discussion

Advanced military cyber command and control systems show us the future of using information for situational awareness in decision making. One day technology like this may become common place!

Now of course looking far into the future, advanced science fiction like technologies such as described in this video may one day be used.

https://youtu.be/eZv-aTUXV8U

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed. In the meantime im busy as I have to go do something with my phone.

https://www.mattermost.org/

Mattermost is an open source, self-hosted Slack-alternative

As an alternative to proprietary SaaS messaging, Mattermost brings all your team communication into one place, making it searchable and accessible anywhere. Itā€™s written in Golang and React and runs as a production-ready Linux binary under an MIT license with either MySQL or Postgres.

1 Like

As of earlier today, Riot (cross-platform Matrix client) can do end to end encryption. Good stuff.

1 Like

Has there been any progress on this? If nothing has been done Iā€™d be interested in testing out a server instance of Riot.

1 Like

Hi Kaz,

A proposal was being worked on here: https://pad.pirateparty.org.au/p/proposal-implement-matix-platform

I think it needs a little more technical documentation, links and maybe some screenshots.

Thanks, Iā€™ve amended some extra benefit points and Iā€™ll look to get started on a test server setup. Iā€™m pretty busy these days so I might not be able to do that for a little while, but Iā€™ll get some data together when I can.

1 Like

I find the general trend towards proprietary, centralised platforms and away from open, federated protocols to be extremely alarming. Itā€™s not just Slack, but also things like Signal, Snapchat, the proverbial Facebook/Whatsapp, etc.

If anything there should be more effort put in to reverse it, not embrace it.

2 Likes

This forum topic is killing my inner child, but I did think this XKCD was relevantā€¦

5 Likes

#individualfreedoom #personalchoice

Been lurking a bit, reading forum and noting that there are quite a few Pirate channels on Matrix now, for a variety of different countries, including the ones which actually have Pirates in government. Riot client seems to work well and itā€™s quite a bit more user friendly than classic irc clients, might have a better chance at pulling in engagement from the kids.

Personally I believe open source is the way to go if youā€™re going to be a party to stand behind principles. Problem is weā€™re living in a world which doesnā€™t give a crap about principles. So to get the world you want, how do you get there? Do you sacrifice principles (which is your raison dā€™etre), or do you say ā€œfuggit, Iā€™m gonna fight dirtyā€? How are Pirates managing to be relevant in other parts of the world without sacrificing principles?

1 Like

Thereā€™s a dedicated Pirate server on Retroshare too.

Thing is, someone has to step up and make a test implementation of a Riot server that can bridge to the current IRC server. I unfortunately donā€™t have much time these days to do so (or the experience to move it on from proof of concept and really make it secure) but Iā€™d fully support that effort by throwing more money to the party to make it happen.

Slack takes 2 mouseclicks and a little typing in things like ā€œname of slack serverā€.

It was also up and running a year ago with a pirate community having a lot of fun. And here we are still talking about the alternatives are just as good justā€¦ if only we hadā€¦ if someone could justā€¦

lol.

Iā€™ve been using Riot for about as long and as far as I can tell it is as easy to setup and bridge, I donā€™t really see the need to support Slack especially since it has that inane history post limit.