Edeity candidacy discussion thread

This is a great idea particularly if VP role is needing contestation.

There are many good reasons to preference Emily over me - more experince with existing PPAU executive, personality differences can be important, and of course diversity is especially important for the face of a progressive party like ours.

As I have opened dialogue, I will wait for her engagement with the party.

2 Likes

And this would not be complete without some propaganda.

2 Likes

Some of the NC (including me) have been recycled a couple of times now. We need new approaches and energy in the organisational wing and I was hoping you would hop in, edeity.

My q. - you mentioned last year that you created an online guild and grew it into something sizeable. This is what we need here - a membership surge so that we can get into the state politics arena and expand our potential volunteers. D’you have any thoughts on how to expand our membership? Would it be priority for you? What approach would you take?

Number one priority.

I actually address this in an earlier statement here. People join organisations they believe in, they believe in organisations from the people they experience leading and part of an organisation. What they see is our belief or lack of belief in ourselves.

This is both our problem and our opportunity.

A natty advertising campaign or clever trick does not sustain significant growth. Getting very real does.

2 Likes

I’ve read through a heap of your posts here, and really like the way you think and the topics that you bring forward.

My question for you is: What would be your strategy for finding and connecting with potential new members who may view the Pirate Party as a single policy fringe party (despite it having a reasonably comprehensive platform)?

1 Like

It is an extraordinarily relevant question.

The root of it is that all parties started with an issue and what defines that party is how they see and approach that issue and take that approach to other issues. ALP, Liberal Party, National Party and of course the Greens started the same.

We are fundamentally about human potential actualised with freedom - especially of knowledge, tempered by social responsibility. We started to fight the Luddite reaction of a society transitioning into the information age, an especially rocky transition in politics. To invoke the state of Israel example, technologists by necessity needed a political place to call home, to be their refuge when no others would stand up for what is right.

We are here to politically attack but also protect to move Australia continuously to be better. Particularly we see information freedom as more than just political capital to trade for other agenda’s - which the ALP, Liberal and Green parties are on record for each doing.

Cherishing freedom and our passion for knowledge and action translates into a political force for good across the entire spectrum of politics - which has itself progressively become more about information - our unique history and perspective makes our voice more relevant than ever.

Equality, Economics, Social Welfare, Identity, Terror, Foreign Policy, Health, Immigration, Housing, Education all are now so dependent so intrinsically linked to freedom and information Australia needs a voice that represents the gritty reality and the beautiful dreams never before but now possible (like UBI) in this new digital world that like it or not it is in now.

1 Like

Oooo, questions. I like asking questions.

What ideas/strategies do you have for getting around the structural bias against minor parties in the electoral system?

2 Likes

That pretty much sums up why I joined, but I wonder if there are a whole heap of others out there, especially younger voters, who may not be aware of our position.

I did a hallway test about it a while back, and only two of ten people I asked knew that the party existed (both were IT guys), and of those two, neither were aware of any policies other than “supporting piracy” :persevere: It feels a real shame as this party has a much more 21st century platform than any of the major parties, and I don’t think it’s being effectively communicated yet.

Good question.

We need first off to focus on our own organisation and identity, which will leap us up into the space of a not so minor party, but your question still remains very relevant even then.

There is two strategies, one is to focus on building building building to like the recent surge in the Greens teeter on the edge of becoming a major party.

The other is to be a party of impact. Where we employ strategies of force multipliers that resonate the meaning and value of our message into the everyday lives of Australians. Relevance and front of mind gain a lot of ground that lack of numbers and funding needs us to cover to compete.

I would like to pursue both strategies, but honestly I really only have an outsider view of whats under the hood and cannot assess the full state of where we are. I do know that we are distracted by many things and not progressing with impact. We have an absence of meaningful actions that lead to strategic gains. I want us to be a party of more action and do not wish to entertain the continued analysis paralysis and naysaying of some that is holding us back from where Australia needs us to be.

2 Likes

Since online quizzes seem to be popular:

I was hoping for Ramsey Bolton…

seriously answered this one totally honestly. I don’t even

1 Like

What “Main Stream Media” experience do you have?

I am an active reader of the Courier Mail and Daily Telegraph. I don’t truck with no liberal elites and their Guardian or Fairfax’s.

Nil is the short honest answer besides being in an article in the Age about tech yuppies doing this crazy thing of using wireless networks in airport lounges back when that was article worthy. I was the CFO for a small community tv station and producer for some media projects (mostly around funding) for a little while, but that is not I think what you mean with the question.

1 Like

Why haven’t you nominated for any other Council position?

edit: please ignore my question. I now see multiple nominations. Thank you.

2 Likes

For Emily as promised.

1 Like

It’s been a whole year since the last Congress and NC doesn’t have much to show. We actually went backwards with data loss incident.

Data loss incident itself… what the hell… this is supposed to be an technology savvy party and no backups, and huge expenditure on IT systems in the Treasurer’s report (unitemised mind you, so don’t know where it’s going).

Offers to help have been ignored (personally I volunteered for any committees that come up, was not aware of any to actually happen. Have volunteered to help with a PAX panel again, ignored.)

Transport Policy to be put forward at NC but nothing on the forums to even mention that there even was a Policy Development Committee happening with that.

Communication has been crap. Edeity is what keeps the discussion boards alive with shitpost/memes etc.

Promises were made about having a “Formal” name change put to vote, turns out it was not formal and was quietly put to rest. I don’t mind, I love the Pirate name, but it’s the principle of how it was handled. Don’t say you are going to do something if you are not.

Promises to have a member database up and running “very soon” last time. Still not fully operational.

No membership or donation drives even though Treasurers report shows we are losing heaps of money.

Communication has been crap. I was subscribed to all the mailing lists, nothing ever came though until National Congress came up.

Australian Politics has never been more of a shitshow, now is the time to be relavant .

love or hate Luke, he is the party’s only real option to stay alive.

That’s deeply weird. I got the first email about it on the 15th. Reminder email on the 25th.

Ah you’re right, I double checked and found an email I missed! 15 June it was sent out :slight_smile: edited my post

Every PDC meeting is on the calendar shown on the front page of the website. Come along and you can participate.

1 Like

I always ignore you old man :wink:

1 Like

You mentioned somewhere you wrote a new party Vision or something similar. I think you said with help from @rundll. Where is that? I’m interested to see it.