Free speech/section 18C policy

Mozart, Yes - I am pro-mingling.

1 Like

Greens propose pro-mingling authority: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-11/greens-say-social-cohesion-organisation-could-stop-terrorism/5806060

1 Like

Iā€™m a bit unsure about that idea, but was relieved to see it wasnā€™t as badly framed as the headline suggested. It appears they didnā€™t actually say their proposal was intended to ā€˜prevent beheadingsā€™.

We donā€™t, we hold the people commiting the violence accountable for their actions and we charge the inciter along with them as part of a conspiracy (thus making all the charges and penalties worse for them).

Scott Alexander of Slate Star Codex has just posted a good piece on free speech as a commons.

The tl;dr is that when {principle} is used as a defense of {objectionable idea} in {partisan context}, {opposing partisans} will begin to oppose (or at least, mock) said {principle}.

If people actually care about free speech, the number one thing they can do right now is very loudly shout about it every time a liberal is silenced. We should be having giant free speech parades supporting everyone whoā€™s punished for supporting Palestine, just to make sure liberals donā€™t get the impression that free speech is a weapon pointed at them.

http://slatestarcodex.com/2017/04/11/sacred-principles-as-exhaustible-resources/

1 Like

The {opposing partisans} should recognize that opposing free speech acts against their own speech also.
This article seems to ignore that.

I donā€™t know much about Charles Murray, but Jordan Peterson is a professor of psychology who provides very detailed explanations for his statements, backed by lots of cited evidence. I donā€™t agree with all of his interpretation of that evidence, but heā€™s a great example of speech that should not be silenced. Iā€™d love to hear some more detailed debate with him from similarly qualified individuals but the crazy screaming protesters seem to be preventing that.

Maybe the point of the article was that we need to balance the partisanship of speech such that both sides reap the free speech benefits.

1 Like

I recommend Jordanā€™s podcasts with Sam Harris.

First one is infinitely frustrating as they get bogged down in minutiae of epistemology, but Iā€™m including it for completeness sake. In second one they remember that theyā€™re speaking in a public setting and itā€™s much more enjoyable.