How about we brand ourselves as "the radical centre" party?

hmm, thats why i like the word Freedom.
But the same argument for the greater freedoms to walk down the street without getting shot etc can be made transparently. Since a Bill of Rights is also known as an American thing, though many other countries have them too, i think the question would still come up a lot. im not sure how many other parties if any are also proposing a BOR, but it is an attractive proposal for a libertarian or freedomeer on the left, even if those words are avoided. And perhaps the transparent approach can attract right or centre libertarians too (as i dont believe its an LDP proposal) or anyone else that likes freedoms and rights…

I identify as libertarian left. It encapsulates my and our positions too well to be held back by unfair misconceptions. We should be reclaiming innocent words and phrases that groups we may disagree with have coopted.

There’s a very niche sub-issue of gun control which has a strong underground following and is largely separate from other areas (such as hunting, self defence etc) and that is the overregulation of airsoft. To my knowledge no other political entity has touched this except those already in favour of looser gun controls.

The situation is that airsoft guns currently fall under the same legislation as rifles despite being slightly less dangerous than paintball markers (roughly the same muzzle velocity and fire rate but the airsoft pellets are smaller and softer). This makes airsoft effectively illegal as ownership of one requires a full firearms licence along with various other restrictions.

There is a small but vibrant community of Australians who regularly travel to NZ to play in the airsoft tournaments over there (Airsoft Council of Australia) and they claim to have 16,000 supporters. I’m reaching out to them at the moment to potentially assist us in preparing a gun control policy amendment.

4 Likes

even if it is technically correct (the best kind) it’s not worth our efforts to reclaim these words when used together, as when used individually these words refer to something else.

It’s just as much battle as explaining what Pirate means…

We are no further ahead, and at least no one else uses Pirate (like Liberal Democrats sometimes get unintended votes from some Liberal supporters due to name confusion)

I’d rather leave name debates for another time, the last one was extremely exhausting for the party.

2 Likes

So what is wrong with the word Freedom?

I’m not aware of any issues with the word Freedom. I.e. There isn’t a well known “freedom party” or “freedom movement” or “freedom ideology” which on anyway goes against our views on Freedom. But I’m not keen on a discussion on changing our name to another neutral word at the moment either because that happened 1-2 years ago and it was an utter disaster, the feelings are still raw, but go ahead and say that the Pirate Party is about Freedom… No issues there

2 Likes

I didn’t realise there were some authoritarians already trying to fly the freedom flag.
How unfortunate. Perhaps a missed opportunity.
I do note that they aren’t listed on the AEC website as a registered party despite having 2000 FB members.

Then again, it is kind of lay down and die strategy if we just let the right take all the good names like liberty and freedom. Its as if we think their philosophies on those things are more deserving.

I still think it would be a broader brand for our beliefs. Clearly those whom are interested in freedom could discern by policy which is truly free and those that are opportunistic might give us votes anyhow.

Many people whom are not versed in politics see Pirates as synonymous with theft or subversion.
From a branding perspective its not that great. Psychologically it puts us as an underdog whom mightn’t be taken seriously. But liberty and freedom are serious subjects. Its like the difference between novelty and principle.

They might be “Party For Freedom”, sharing their authoritarian propaganda.
But we could be “Freedom Party” or “Freedom Australia Party” or “True Freedom Party”

It’s just another word for nothing left to lose? :wink:

IMG_1778
There is lots left to lose.
They are even directly attacking the pirate brand.

They will be in Sydney this weekend.

Ahem, you may just be too young to recognize the song lyrics I was quoting.:confused:

It’s from Janis Joplin’s song Me and Bobby McGee.

1 Like