OK.. I'm motivated

4 Likes

4 Likes

any other company which doesnā€™t have a) a monopoly and b) long history of blatantly fudging data and abusing their users, sorry, product? :slight_smile:

I think youā€™ve misunderstood the intent of my reply. Itā€™s Facebookā€™s data. If youā€™re suggesting their product reports false data, then where/how are 3rd parties getting ā€œaccurateā€ data from the same source?

If that is actually not the question you asked, then please rephrase, because thatā€™s how I understood it.

1 Like

Iā€™m saying that FB as a company has a long history of bait & switch, privacy invasion, inflating likes, page views, video views, everything. Thereā€™s kerfuffle each time it happens and it generates a bunch of indignant media, they ā€œapologiseā€ ā€¦ and despite everyone moaning and wringing hands about their lack of ethics and abuseā€¦ ppl keep going back. shrug I get that ppl feel the need to use it because ā€œeveryoneā€™s thereā€ but when thereā€™s a political focus on privacy, openness and integrity, I guess I hoped for at least a slightly different approach than the status quo. Especially as itā€™s being pointed out that your engagement is low, and maybe changing things up might be beneficial.

I chose this hill to die on a while ago. Iā€™m comfy.

2 Likes

I still fail to see how that has any involvement with them providing metrics to page admins. Iā€™m well aware of some of their malpractices, but not of them fudging stats. Whereā€™s your proof of this?

Are you suggesting for us to not use Facebook entirely? Has anyone tried getting any traction in Google+? We have, but no one was interested.

Rather than blow a horn about what we shouldnā€™t use, tell us your ideas of what we should/could do instead. Berating gets us nowhere and is not helpful.

PS: The last line above is a general statement. Not aimed at anyone. Iā€™m trying to save from a fruitless argument.

1 Like

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4312731

ā€¦ just from quick Google.

No, and Iā€™ve repeatedly stated that I understand peopleā€™s drive to use it (even though I do not share it)

Use newer platforms which have reach and engagement. At the moment it looks like you guys arenā€™t doing much more than posting to FB so you get lost in the noise even if you are actually being viewed 7000 times, thatā€™s not translating to engagement or growth. The meme stuff is good ideas, but I wouldnā€™t go near it if itā€™s being organised & disseminated through FB only. Why not Snapchat, Instagram, Slack, Reddit, Tumblr, LinkedIn, Pinterest, YouTube, Twitterā€¦ etc etc etc and yeah even G+ because if people use it at all, any Google searches about relevant topics will show G+ posts relatively high up.

in terms of type of engagement, memes=good start.

Live video feeds from political events might be worth looking into if the manpower exists . Thereā€™s lots happening. But do it in a fun way. Wear costumes, ask silly interview questions, get people watching to be entertained, but by stealth get them thinking about the issues. If lucky, something will go viral. Think maybe actual stunts.

Making some of the policy content more accessible, explain in a YouTube tutorial kindof way.

Just a few random ideasā€¦

Have you considered joining the SocMed team? Iā€™m sure @twisty would appreciate some help.

If it gets organised through FB, no.

But Iā€™m not even a party member, and at this stage not even sure if a good fit. Which is kinda depressing, because of all the political parties, PP should be closest aligned to most of my key principles.

We donā€™t organise on Facebook, we publish our political message/s and viewpoints to Facebook as one channel of many. Because itā€™s a ā€œfreeā€ platform and itā€™s where a whole lot of people spend time and need to be reminded every now and then how bad it is for their privacy (just like anti-smoking ads on cigarette packets).

1 Like

[quote=ā€œPotentialPirate, post:53, topic:1178, full:trueā€]
If it gets organised through FB, no.[/quote]

Facebook is not our sole platform, it happens to have the most traffic. @twisty will be able to give more input on this.

Then please decide and do something about it. Sure, providing suggestions as a non-member is helpful, but berating current practices is nothing but misguided noise to us, because it contributes nothing and wastes our time. Weā€™ve had too many fence-sitters stir negative atmosphere as of late.

1 Like

I agree completely with the if you havnt got a way forward, your views are pretty worthless.

That said - a lot of the problems we have been running into is interpretation of what, and more so, how, a way forward is communicated.

Poes law is a very effective technique for getting a viable way forward from an online community. Someone putting a stick in the sand and proclaiming this is the way forward, even though its a terrible idea and will never work.

It creates debate and engagement, and someone jumps in with a good or even great idea.

This however creates this problem for the observers often

The biggest challenge in my view is internal party engagement.

We had something over 300 votes being cast to determine who is going to be running things, and we have about 10 people who participate in the forums. So in the end, opinions and steps forward here do not mean anything. The people driving process and interpretation day to day are selected by a group that about 96% do not participate or engage in discussion.

Without fixing internal engagement, all this is busy work akin to writing policy that will never efffect anything.

We need to fix internal engagement. Without it all the dialogue is just going to be going in circles debating minor points like whether the hell to use facebook or not (Answer - who cares, we need a comms officer to manage that low level stuff and the Council sure as hell should not be involved in decision making of that level - they should be doing their job instead).

Fix internal comms. Kick out dead wood members that are not either engaged or contributing. That will boost morale and give contributing members a sense of value and purpose, which will attract useful new members.

It can feel like your being asked to sacrifice time and put yourself on the line for some invisible group that cant be bothered to share or participate. Sorry. Would love to see this go well, but time focus and attention are highly competitive in this day and age. Just ask anyone whoā€™s run an open source project. You need to be more than a good idea to get members and their commitment. Achieving and nurturing that should be priority #1 of the Council.This is why they exist, not debates about which communications protocol should be used.

5 Likes

AMA ā€¦ If I donā€™t know Iā€™ll try to find out.

Revisiting this thread has been interesting, in light of the current leadership situation.

I joined. waves at Frew

Iā€™m just a girl.

ā€¦ and Iā€™m voting for edeity, because afaics he actually wants to change things. If he wins, I will definitely be dedicating time and resources if requested.

This party needs a leader with balls.

2 Likes

1 Like

name change?

bnfcghjvgthjfghk

how can? doesnā€™t seem possible in settings. can mod change username? if so, kudrakarma :slight_smile:

I changed mine ā€¦ let me have a look.

edit: user settings/preferences/username (edit icon). I did loose links to posts under my old name from memory. let me know how ya go.