Talk me out of resigning my membership

Given Andrew’s response its likely to be redundant to propose any form of positive discrimination. But it has winkled out views (Griskard) who believe that its not formally structural. In one sense it isn’t and yet the data indicates otherwise. Stating the obvious, the party will remain marginal, whilst participation is overwhelmingly male.

Data doesn’t indicate anything until you establish causality.
If I had to guess though, I would suggest that the bias relates to a similar skewing of gender from the preponderance of IT and Software Engineer and similar STEM fields that form a large portion of our membership.

If I’m right about that, then a potential solution may be in trying to spread our message further into other professional areas that are more female dominated, such as biology, law, veterinary sciences, psychology etc.
Actually, we’ve been starting to do some university outreach in Melbourne and Brisbane. Maybe they could try taking this into consideration some more.

2 Likes

All people in all parties disagree.

For example, before being a founding member of the pirate party myself, I was a Green. Before that, I ran as an Independent for a state seat.

But back to the greens. They have a lot of good positions but even they have some woeful ones. For example, they have an all out war on the car. It makes no difference if cars are electric, it makes no difference if coal is more polluting than any other power source including all of the combined petrol used in modern motor cars - it makes no difference. they are against the motor car.

The key in any party is not to look for the one or two things you disagree with them on (we can all find them) but to work on the 99% of things we DO agree on. The truth is, the Pirate party (even in today’s very watered down form) is closer to my views on the majority of things than ANY other party out there. So for me, I am a founding and still active member of the Pirate Party. When the Pirate Party moves so far from it’s roots as to be further from me position than another party, at that point I will move to the other party. That point has not come yet for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

I actually agree. You should always take the best candidate for the job without knowing what they have in their pants. If zero women apply, zero women are selected. If 100 women apply and a man is better, the man is selected.

Gender should not come into it. In fact, if it were possible to totally anonymise the candidates (ie say x y and z instead of bob, jane and mary) we would get a better selection of candidates in general IMO.