2017-18 PDC Working Groups

13 posts were split to a new topic: Electoral System Reform Policy discussion

All these Policy Working Groups! It’s going to be a busy year for the Pirate Party!

1 Like

Yes definitely.
As a starting point, the present group should probably commit to not starting WG activity until group membership achieves at least better than token diversity.

1 Like

Fine with me. Won’t commence policy making until recruiting is done we have enough people in a position to present the side from a first-hand minority perspective.

You’ll receive a summary of current members in the next week as part of a scheduled audit, anyone not on the list can be added by asking the NC to add them to the PDC. (give me a poke on chat/email if you get stuck)

2 Likes

Putting the diversity working group on hold until there is more diversity is fine. Probably a good idea given there are people working on multiple working groups which means there’ll have to be some prioritising anyway.

2 Likes

Leadership comes to those who deserve it when they want it least but swarmwise model suggests everyone is a leader for the things they are passionate about. The things which I think motivate you are having a platform of professional, community developed, evidence based policies and that’s one of our greatest hidden strengths as a party and a movement.

2 Likes

Well I don’t know if it’s “old hold” us such, it’s still active - but stays in the recruiting stage until it is more diverse before moving on to actual Policy development.

I completely agree. The issue is more that I’m not from a regional or rural area, so I’m not in touch with the details surrounding their local issues. Nor do I have much expertise in the area, or significant time outside of uni holidays to do required research.
The main things which got me interested are a bunch of documentaries e.g. I watched a few years back on environmental rehabilitation, permanent culture as well as industrial hemp. A good example in the Australian context is Peter Andrews and his Natural Sequence Farming. There’s several old Australia Story episodes somewhere under “Right as Rain” and “Of Droughts and Flooding Rains” online.

I also have an interest in the absolute rort going on in water rights and the related economic rents. 4 Corners completely confirmed all of my suspicions that the sector has been completely captured and taken over by rentiers and speculators, at the cost of communities and the environment.

3 Likes

What if we put together a draft policy over the next 6 months, then someone with a few weeks of leave who really loves road trips tours through rural QLD/NSW/Vic talking to landowners? Heck I might be down for that.

2 Likes

Now that would be cool (and an excellent idea), and good promotion for the PPAU.

Switch me from diversity to electoral systems please.

(Gingers don’t generally count as a disadvantaged minority.)

4 Likes

Only a ginger can call another ginger ginger.

3 Likes

Noooooo don’t go

Ginger Policy is hilarious

1 Like

There would be mighty stiff competition from the SFFP who seem to be trotting out the populist appeal with all of this disenfranchisement around the Nationals brand. Countering any of their misinformation would be a good place to start.

There will be a PDC meeting tomorrow night (Tuesday 12/09/17) at 8:30pm.

For those who are currently not on the policydev@ email list and would like to be added, please email me at jesse.hermans_@_pirateparty.org.au (delete underscores)

Agenda is available here, feel free to add to it: https://pad.pirateparty.org.au/p/pdc-minutes-20170912

2 Likes

The next Policy Development Committee meeting is Tuesday 10/10/17 8:30PM AEDT.

Agenda is available here, feel free to add to it: https://pad.pirateparty.org.au/p/pdc-minutes-20171010

1 Like

The next Policy Development Committee meeting is tonight 14/11/17 8:30PM AEDT.

Agenda is available here, feel free to add to it: https://pad.pirateparty.org.au/p/pdc-minutes-20171114