Accountable Capitalism

A long time ago in a PPAU far away, we once talked about this:

Did that turn out to be a bad idea or did we just forget?

1 Like

accountable capitalism: an oxymoron or radical reform?

Radical reform seems to be the idea.
Like, what if corporations were required in law, to behave less like sociopaths?

hm. convince me.
wouldnā€™t that require transparency? Seems kinda contradictory to the fundamentals of corporatehood: trade secrets, obiquity not transparency of governance, profit over people.

I personally like the model of worker owned cooperatives. For example, in Australia they are starting to enable a just transition away from fossil-fuel reliant energy towards renewables.
http://earthworkerenergy.coop/about-us/

We are a lot of people into that idea, in my country we had a complete success with a Agriculture-corporation, thatā€™s actually producing and exporting extremely well.
When the communist regimes fellā€¦ all of the state-owned companies were supposed to be privatized. These guys from the ā€œWest Agriculture Prodsā€ decided to keep the ā€œagriculture cooperativeā€ and transform it into worker-controlled private corporation, with great success.

Weā€™re trying to make some IT companies to work like this as well, and have the colleagues be responsible with their own part of the ā€˜productionā€™
Itā€™s a successful experiment :slight_smile:

1 Like

I really like this. This is actually an inclusive and collaborative approach to dealing with wealth inequality. It is by no means an end-point, but it is a solid discussion starter. But itā€™s good that she is coming from the left and saying, how can we tweak the business culture just a little to make it a force for good?

1 Like

Pondering over PPAU policy over the years, Iā€™ve concluded that weā€™re not actually anti-capitalist as such.

We talk a lot about being against ā€œrent seekingā€ in its many forms. I interpret that as saying we oppose the corruption of capitalism.

I mean mostly, capitalism is the operation of a free market. Free people buying and selling goods and services, creating value for each other etc. Very few people object to that as a concept.

However, free markets are complex structures at scale, and so things like monopolies and unbalanced power structures emerge. Thatā€™s where a good left leaning government steps in to limit monopolies and rebalance power structures.

Babies and bathwater.

2 Likes