“Assange’s life is in danger. It has to stop here and it has to stop now!” - UN SRTorture Nils Melzer

UN expert says “collective persecution” of Julian Assange must end now
https://ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/DisplayNews.aspx?NewsID=24665&LangID=E

“It was obvious that Mr. Assange’s health has been seriously affected by the extremely hostile and arbitrary environment he has been exposed to for many years,” the expert said. “Most importantly, in addition to physical ailments, Mr. Assange showed all symptoms typical for prolonged exposure to psychological torture, including extreme stress, chronic anxiety and intense psychological trauma.

“The evidence is overwhelming and clear,” the expert said. “Mr. Assange has been deliberately exposed, for a period of several years, to progressively severe forms of cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment, the cumulative effects of which can only be described as psychological torture.

“I condemn, in the strongest terms, the deliberate, concerted and sustained nature of the abuse inflicted on Mr. Assange and seriously deplore the consistent failure of all involved governments to take measures for the protection of his most fundamental human rights and dignity,” the expert said. “By displaying an attitude of complacency at best, and of complicity at worst, these governments have created an atmosphere of impunity encouraging Mr. Assange’s uninhibited vilification and abuse.

UN accuses Australia of failing to protect Assange’s rights radio interview with UN SRTorture Nils Melzer

Assange’s life is in danger. It has to stop here and it has to stop now!

Who wants to work on a press release with me. @JohnAugust?

Yes, would be happy to. While I’m happy to collaborate over the internet, I’d also be happy to meet up if you’re in Sydney. For me fundamental thing is that the Australian authorities are ignoring credible international comment because they can. Cheers, John.

1 Like

awesome. I’m hoping to get started with a draft in a pirate pad today.