Housing Policy

I realised this morning we’re a little light on housing policy; it’s basically all folded under our tax policy. I think we could at least put out a position statement.

Especially in the context of this statistic which has been flying around the net today:

Last year, more Australians bought their seventh home than those who bought their first

Source: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-08/queensland-rental-laws-on-cusp-of-change/10595628

Have a look at this. I feel our policy is not up to scratch in comparison. Also the policy I don’t feel caters to people who choose to rent and move for work.
I’d love to discuss this policy further as I’ve been working with homeless people for the past 6 years.
Housing is a problem but the main one is supporting those who are not able to live independently due to trauma or mental or physical health or drug or alcohol issues.

2 Likes

Yes.
We could contact the Homeless Persons Union Victoria for example to check out what they recommend.

I think it’s really shameful how the housing industry prioritises money-making over people having a secure and long-term home.

1 Like

Its all about the money, for those with assets and Capital its a gold pass, if you earn money with your Labour, your screwed.

My Apologies if this is the wrong place to post, I’m new here.
I found interesting that you housing section fell under your tax reform section.
Before reading any of your Tax reform Policy i had my own theory that Tax should be based on Wealth and not income, with the family home (living in home excluding from the Wealth amount) to be taxed. but additional investment properties taxed as part of the Wealth tax.
My humble opined was that no nobody NEEDs more than $3,000,000 excluding the cost of a home and a car to have a reasonably standard of life in retirement. and much more than that is just amassing wealth for the sake of greed,
Something along the lines of:
3,000,000 tax free (exuding family home, 1 car person)
3,000,000 - 4,000,000 10%, tax on wealth
4,000,000 - 5,000,000 20%. tax on wealth
etc.

In theory, this helped to re-distribute money to those less wealthy, as well as encouraging spending of those with wealth and boosting the economy, instead of hording it.

long story short, taxing on the additional properties as part of wealth would make it less financial attractive to be sitting on multiply additional properties especially if they are empty and not making any return. Freeing up housing for those that still require a family home.

1 Like