Melbourne Pirates Gathering Sunday 24 April

That should be fine for me. Yea I can do this Friday 29th . What’s the location this time?

Wood n Chimney was fine imo, not too noisy. This week same location (it’s what the calendar on the website says so let’s stick to that for now).

@mofosyne: the 29th is this Sunday.

See ya’ll Sunday. :slight_smile: I’ll wear my pirate party t-shirt again.

2 Likes

Where is everyone? Was there.

We found each other in the end. Ashamed to say I realised at North Melbourne that I had left without settling my bill - a hot chocolate. Who ever covered this for me, it’s my shout next time we meet, and I apologise for any confusion or embarrassment I may have caused.

2 Likes

Summary of Discussions:

• Practicality of creating a non-profit website to help tenets to rate and avoid bad landlords, as a way to market Pirate Party policies towards improving rental affordability. E.g. “We may not be in a political position to change the laws, but we are here to at the very least help you reduce the impact of these laws on you. If you want to fight for change, vote for these policies by us and other minor parties that share these policies on rent affordability”.
    • Due to the extremely bad rental affordability situation. The bargaining power of tenets have been reduced to the point that they are getting exploited by slumlords essentially, further entrenching poverty (since these crimes have similar effects to widespread corruption). Addressing the information asymmetry will help reduce the impact till we can find a permanent solution.
    • Some of the issue with a website to rate landlords are privacy and conflict of interest. Can we address both?
    • How to ensure such rating are accurate?
    • Is this purely a rating website? Or does it also allow for building a court case against exploitative landlords? (Maybe getting disaffected tenents to mount a class lawsuit?)
  • Negative Gearing discussion
  • Reducing the complexity of getting help from consumer affairs (contradictory laws?) which is relied upon by such tenets.
  • Ensuring that the spirit of transparency stays alive in the party.

I wasn’t here for the whole meeting, so if there were any extra discussion, do let me know.

Good chat. 7/10 would beer again.

Most interesting discussion points for me were around uplifting our planning and doing beyond singular projects to what it would take to be able to plan and do coordinated activity.

2 Likes

In relation to renting, this was the site I referred to (and their twitter is @rentalraters.

1 Like

I’d like to propose another meet up this weekend. I’m going to be at the same place as last time (the food barn above Melbourne Central Station) from 12-2pm. Please come and argue or discuss policy or what have you.

2 Likes

I’m happy to turn up and drink beer again.

2 Likes

I’ve just noticed this thread was a continuing place for new meetings, hence I missed the last one. And I can’t make it on Sunday 12th either, because I’m volunteering at OzComicCon…
Come along and say hi if you can.

Sorry all, I’m not going to make it today unfortunately. Woken up sick and need to rest

1 Like

dammit im all dressed up and everything. Oh well im heading into MC anyway. I’ll be the guy with glasses on his own sipping beer looking at reddit on his phone if you havn’t met me before.

12pm Wood n Chimney, Melbourne Central, top floor near Hoyts.

Plus side ShortStop donuts is nearby if no one shows… mmmmmm… actually i might go there now…

Ommnommnommnom

1 Like

Ok its 12:20 no additionals. Looks like you dodged a meeting with just me mr Datakid.

/signingoff

huh there’s another meeting today?

Oops, only just saw this. Ah well, wasn’t gonna make it anyway…
I’m done with exams now. Would be free this weekend.

2 Likes

Anyhow… aside from the drama in the other train wreck of a post between multiple people who takes politics too seriously…

Is anyone here up for meeting up next week? say on the 26th? (Should we do this as a google calendar event?)

More meetings always good.

And where is the trainwreck? I feel I should help…

1 Like

Yes. Might also help to start a new thread inviting people. Also, get them to put it on the website calendar.
:slight_smile: