Pirate support for Queensland's StopAdani movement?

There will surely be post election coverage, but its looking like Adani has proven to be a swing issue in a lot of seats. Getup campaigned in this election based on the issue and their exit polls, along with the Greens, are suggesting a majority (70%+) of votes in some seats are going for anti-Adani candidates.

1 Like

Yes - lack of a policy on this is pretty significant, the anti-Adani rally here brought out 15% of the population. I couldnt possibly recommend anyone preference a party that doesn’t have a policy on it.

I’ve been saying when asked: “Look, we don’t have specific endorsed policy on it, but new fossil fuel production is inconsistent with action on climate change, which we definitely do support.”

The National Council could pass a resolution committing to no new thermal coal mines or something, I guess.

1 Like

@mitra generally we try to write our policies in a more general tone so it covers more than a single specific mining proposal. Like @alexjago said, supporting this megamine would be against our policies.

Rather than churning out position statements on every government fuckup, Our party is more focused on your right to protest a mine like this without every word you write to your friends being recorded to be used against you or your friends by the government in court or elsewhere any time now or in the future. Our party’s general expertise lies in the more technical stuff, so that is where our limited time is most spent. You are of course most welcome to contribute by eg writing a position statement for us to put out in support of the stopAdani campaign.

1 Like

I’m neither a member of the party, nor an expert on Adani/climate. I am an advocate of digital rights, and a strong critic of Labor’s support of the police state bills, so I’m aligned with your views on this. I just can’t recommend people vote for a party ranked almost bottom on environmental issues. I know for a fact that if I ask most people to choose between digital rights and the environment they are going to choose environment - as I said 15% of the county population turned out for the Anti-Adani rally last week. Most people are sympathetic to digital rights but its a hard sell, and its not going to lead to votes if the party is getting ranked low by an independent assessment of its environment policies that is circulating widely locally (I’ve received it at least 6 times in the last few days, which is far more than I’ve received any digital rights messages).

Your call of course, as I said I support you on the digital rights issues, but if you can’t get the other issues up to a basic level …

@mitra thank you for your feedback.
I know for a fact that there is no hope of protecting the environment if we don’t have things like a basic right to private communication. Digital rights are not some niche new age thing, they are simply rights applied to the use of widespread digital technologies, rights which enable you and me to protest injustices and environmental destruction effectively in this semblance of a democracy. So maybe rather than take an inaccurate and rough score-card as a fact, you can tell people about this fundamental link between environmental justice and your ability to advocate for it.

1 Like

I agree with you about the digital rights, I also agree with those who say if we muck up the environment there won’t be anything left to protest about. I’m seeing plenty of posts, especially on FB now urging people to vote Greens and independents/micro-parties before Lib/Lab, not once has Pirate Party been listed (usually its ICAN and Together), several of those posts use scorecards, and with Pirate Party appearing below Labor on those scorecards I know exactly how any appeal for people to think about digital rights and vote Pirate Party is going to be taken. Good luck but …

Those environmental policy score cards are a source of great frustration for us. We have a well developed environmental policy, but due to not meeting the specific demands of some environmental groups some of them have harshly scored us lower than our policies should rank https://pirateparty.org.au/wiki/Platform#Environment

We’re going to attempt to resolve this with positional statements over the next week or two. We have strong environmental stances but they’re not fully recognised yet

1 Like