Population

Can’t edit the original post, but to deal with the dead link. Here is the updated link

This thread is a continuation of

Cons: We’re the freakin’ Pirate Party and you want us to be telling people how many kids they can have, in a country that has birth rates below replacement level.

Get real.

Andrew I agree, tho we can look at rolling back entitlements for larger families.

1 Like

I think is far more interesting to look at projections.152181-004-6F2225E3

1 Like

Why?

fgtyftyjftyjertcf

Because everyone uses the graph to 2050 and freaks out but we could easily be below were we are now by 2100.

What brings you to that conclusion?

edit. The only “low scenario” I can imagine is ww3 v2.0. Humans breed like rabbits. And … worse than kangaroos we eat more than is produced. On a planetary scale …

… humans (on average) had used a years worth of planet resources on August 1st.

GFN-Country-Overshoot-Day-info

… we need more planets

Declining birth rates and increased access to education. The access to quality food and water is only going to decrease which will drive infirtility higher. Who knows maybe sex robots will cause a massive decline in the birth rate. I think there are many factors which will come together to slow the population dramatically.

Welcome aboard @bjlimmmer. Always nice to have a fresh voice.

Sadly I have a far more pessimistic view of recent human habitation on this planet. Humans have raped the earth with little regard for habitat and I fear my grandchildren will witness the consequences.

My link above sums up the problem nicely … imho. Forget tomorrow. Today, if everyone was to have the same living standard we’d have to either halve the current population, or find another earth … every year.

I’m open to ideas …

Take a look at this chart, based on UN global data accumulated for as far back as 1800, up to 2018.
It takes a short while to load, then press to he play button to see how the average fertility rate converges over time to just under or around replacement level, as average income increases.

Basically, as the global population pulls out of extreme poverty, becomes educated, healthy and personal safety increases, birth rates drop dramatically.

For this result, it doesn’t even matter if your country focusses on wealth or health first. You end up in the same place on the graph.

Australia is a little red speck near the right.
We have a fertility rate below replacement levels.
We only grow via immigration.

Australian future population is an immigration question.

The world future population is an nation development question, specifically in relation to stability, elimination of extreme poverty, and education to support that.

3 Likes