Rules of Presentation for bills in Parliament

Continuing the discussion from Urgent platform amendment proposal: repeal aspects of National Security Bill:

I don’t know, and I’m not sure the order in which this bill was presented to Parliament, as I believe that has an impact on the flow. Someone with more expertise on this might want to chime in here.

Not sure what you mean. Bills are usually passed by one chamber before being introduced into the other. This one has been passed by the Senate and is yet to be introduced into the House (where it will of course pass even if Labor suddenly decide to start opposing it)
http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Bills_Legislation/Bills_Search_Results/Result?bId=s969
The House adjourned yesterday before the Senate passed the bill, so the bill will presumably be introduced to the House on Monday and I would guess given the rhetoric around it, passed some time later in the week.

Also to clarify, unless it is legislation that includes appropriatons, legislation can originate in any chamber. Although most legislation originates in the House, many government bills originate in the Senate - it partly depends on how the government wants to manage parliamentary business (eg it gives the Senate something to debate whilst other bills are being dealt with in the House)

2 Likes

Thanks for that. :slight_smile:

It is a peculiarity to the Australian parliamentary system that you can introduce legislation in either house of parliament.

O.K. It was a silly question after all. The reporting just seemed anomalous to me yet nobody appeared concerned upon this point. Still seems rushed (in the sense of theatrical haste; rather than actual urgency) though.

Nah, the only silly question is the one you don’t ask :wink: