Wentworth by-election

(miles_w) #1

Malcolm Turnbull’s seat is up for election on 20th October. In absence of running our own candidate, we should publicly announce a position and possibly endose a like minded candidate. A full list of candidates can be found here. My personal analysis for those candidates closest aligned to our platform are the Greens party candidate Dominic Wy Kanak and the Science Party candidate Andrea Leong.

Science party national platform

Greens Party NSW platform

In the coming weeks I will make a mation to the National Council that we hold a party wide referendum to formally endorse one of these two candidates (or neither!). Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?

(Andrew Downing) #2

If we want to partner with the Science Party, then it is a strategic advantage to endorse their candidate.

(miles_w) #3

That’s a good point and a debate we should be having. As a matter of National Council policy it’s up to the party to decide which of these two more closely aligns to our platform.

(John Wilson) #4

Miles, I would stay away from the Greens at all costs. They have a Self Destruct Button that I would steer clear of. They are political baggage not assets. I don’t know ANYTHING about the Science Party I am afraid.