Monthly Brief - February 2015

Words from President

Hey pirates!

I’ve been in Sweden for a month now. I met with the Swedish Young Pirates. I’ll be speaking at their General Assembly in March about PPAU. :smile:

Unfortunately, I also managed to catch pneumonia and other ailments, and simultaneously had to deal with the extremely disappointing situation relating to PPI. I am therefore taking a leave of absence for the next three months in order to recover from burnout. The National Council will handle any duties assigned to me in the mean time.

Expect mostly business as usual. :smile:

Regarding membership renewals, the work still isn’t finished due to illness. If anybody is able to assist Fletcher (Python experience very useful), please do let him know. We’ll get this done a lot faster with a couple more hands on deck!

I’d also just like to remind everyone that we are still seeking volunteers for various committees.

Rundown of recent happenings

In the Party

• The PPI board voted in favour of our draft Online General Assembly proposal.
  • Brendan wrote an article for the Pirate Times heralding the upcoming GA as the last chance to fix PPI.
    We’ve begun work on our reform proposal.
  • The PPI board decided to revote and scrapped the Online GA later introducing a VoIP-only online meeting with no ability to amend the statutes.
  • PPAU resigned from PPI.
  • We launched a new meeting place for Pirates around the world.
  • All rewards from our Pozible translation campaign have been sent out.
  • Brendan Molloy has taken a three month leave of absence.

In the World

Interesting things happening in the world are posted under the following categories.

Active campaigns

Recent meetings

Minutes for all official meetings of the National Council and Party Committees are recorded on the wiki.

National Council

Policy Development Committee

PDC general meetings have been moved to the second Wednesday of the month to make room for more working groups.

Submissions

Press releases

Finances

The Party is currently using Xero to manage our finances.

As of 3 February 2015:

• Transaction Account: $488.74
  • Savings Account: incoming $7,233.61

Groups seeking volunteers

If you feel that you would like to be involved in any of these groups, or have any questions, please contact us.

Upcoming events and meetings

All official meetings and events are listed in the Party Calendar.

If you have any comments or questions, feel free to reply to this post!