Speakers Corner, Sundays in Sydney

These things happen in Sydney on Sunday. I was discussing it with @AndrewDowning , with the idea of having the pub meetup on a Sunday rather than the Saturday, do some stuff at the pub and then go to speakers corner. We could listen to each other and also present our ideas out to the public. I’m thinking of putting together a video channel of my stuff - in the past it has been ad-hoc from others, but I’m starting to think maybe I could put something out there people would pay attention to.

Here’s some stuff I’ve done there in the past :

Coal and renewables :

The housing crisis :

At the end of a christian on natural selection :

A video list of others :

Current commentary :

https://speakerscorner.org.au/

Past archives :

https://speakerarchives.wordpress.com/

4 Likes

Why do their highlights links only go up to 2015?
Is it still active?

It is still active - look at the material in https://speakerscorner.org.au/ , there is material from September 2017. However, Mark who used to the videos could no longer be bothered. There were some views, but it never really became a thing and did not attract more people to speakers corner. He only ever saw it as something to increase its profile and attract more people in person, not to provide something for people permanently planted at home to look at.

I’d have a different agenda, however - if the Pirate speakers corner channel could become a thing, it would not be crucial that people turn up ( though nice, of course).

1 Like

I like this idea a lot.

It gives purpose and presence to a monthly meetup.
It gives opportunity to express Pirate ideas in a public setting, where they will be challenged.
Pirates get public speaking experience.
Piratey camaraderie gains.
It should be entertaining.
Beer is still an option.

3 Likes

Fantastic! But what would we talk about?

Well, there’s always the video script(s), or blog posts, or whatever…

Errrr. Pirate politics?

1 Like

Speakers Corner is more about learning to speak off the cuff rather than say a script. Notes would be good, but I think reading a script is frowned upon. Speaking off the cuff is a very useful skill.

I wouldn’t make as many Sunday meetings though as I have commitments pretty much every Sunday in Wollongong.

2 Likes

Yes, you can speak from notes but speeches do not go down well.

Frew, sorry you would not be able to make it that often, but if you can get along to - say - one in four meetings, even just for the speakers’ event, I’ll make sure to lay out the red carpet for you.

I have released some videos of yours truly, recent ones, have done some editing :

4 Likes

Here’s Andrew Downing speaking on marriage :

In this one, Andrew is blurred and the background noise a bit worse. In my own one on BMI, I’m wearing a hat and you can’t see my face. So, I did not bother with it at this stage. Live and learn!

2 Likes

This Sunday, the 15th, Andrew Downing and yours truly are planning to turn up at Speakers Corner at 2pm. Other details to be determined, maybe we’ll go to a pub afterward. Andrew has some particular perspectives on blockchain implementations, and I’m sure I’ll think of something to talk about. Again, my mobile, 0419 683 353.

John

1 Like

How did it go? I’d love to hear a bit about the format. We ran a small trial for it up here in Brisbane, advertised it among a few local political/activist groups and got about half a dozen people or so to turn up and speak. Any tips on how we could grow and encourage impromptu speakers?

Also what’s the etiquette on interjections and questions?

@miles_w, I would say the etiquette involves liberal amounts of banter and to-and-fro between speaker and audience. Heckle if you must, respond well if you can. It’s a free for all. In this open free speech forum in Australian public garden space, it seems to work. I don’t think I’d want to try to make it any more formal.

1 Like

Hi Everyone - @AndrewDowning and myself are planning to get to the Domain at 2pm this Sunday - the 16th. We might have to dissapear in a huddle at 3pm for a meeting, but will be on deck, the idea being we get to a pub around 5pm for some drinks and chit-chat. Anyway, we’re trying to get some momentum up in Sydney, and please feel free to come along!

2 Likes

Everyone - an update - we have four starters for Sunday - Andrew, Kate, Sara and myself. So - again - please do come along and join us.

That’s when we scheduled the preselection meeting, so I hope that’s what you’re referring to!

:smiley:

1 Like

Latest info - am hoping for a Speaker’s Domain event on the 18th of this month in Sydney. Possibly followed by Humanists hosting Babu Gogineni. Will keep you updated.

No, looks like Andrew cannot make it and we’ve a meeting elsewhere. So, it is cancelled for the 18th, but I hope to run one again soon.

No multiple layers of cancels.

I am on my way now if any pirates want to come along.

John

2 Likes