Questions for potential candidates 2018/19 edition

@Cizin, that seems like quite a negative outlook.

What is it that you think got better in the '64 to '74 timeframe? If I remember rightly, that timeframe included the Vietnam war, and the world seemed to be constantly on the brink of nuclear annihalation.

Did you know that between 2000 and 2012, we managed to halve the number of people worldwide living absolute poverty, 4 years ahead of UN targets?

What is it that you think is going so badly?

Not that there aren’t problems, but resolving them requires that we be clear and precise in our descriptions of the problems, and positive in the presentation of our solutions.

1 Like

What is it that you think got better in the '64 to '74 timeframe?

I hear what your saying, it pretty much what we thought in 1974,with the War in Vietnam ending and the brave new world awaiting. What got better from '64-'74, plenty, music art, peoples involvement with the world at large, design, environmental movements ask any black American to explain the difference between '64-'74, and when did All Australian get the right vote. I’m not sure what you were smoking at the time, you might have miss it
_
“Did you know that between 2000 and 2012, we managed to halve the number of people worldwide living absolute poverty, 4 years ahead of UN targets?”_
A. Don;t tell me you believe statistic put out by the UN (us) and their so called NGO’s. Have you looked into the history and the financing of so called NGO

What is it that you think is going so badly? funny question from someone invested in political change. ?

A. No, what is required is action, The standing PPAU Policy Paper is clear and precise and if you were part of those who put it together, great work.

“positive in the presentation of our solutions”.
A. I would say we need to be Passionate, Strong, and Committed

My two bobs worth, don’t look back (except for lessons from history).
In 64-74 we in Australia were far more racist, homophobic, sexist, generally bigoted and less educated than we are today. Ask a strong independent woman if she’d rather be alive now or in 64-74! For the first three years in this golden moment indigenous people couldn’t even vote, ffs! Ridiculous claim.

Granted, wealth inequality was lower and the music from that period was better, but the latter is merely my subjective taste, obviously.

Anyway, I have a question for potential candidates. The Guardian is currently running a series on political lobbying. We have cases of former ministers taking up lobbying roles a matter of weeks after leaving parliament. The influence of powerful lobby groups over government policy is undeniable. What will you, if elected, do to curtail the influence of powerful lobby groups?

I think you misunderstand my refferance to '64-'74, its about the changes that was acheived, the tajectory of change for the better, “indigenous people couldn’t even vote” thats right, and people worked to change that

"this golden moment" there is never a golden moment, it has always been and will always be a struggle.

"were far more racist, homophobic, sexist" it has not really changed that much, if it had Hanson would not be in the Senate, how many votes did she get? ffs! Ridiculous

"What will you, if elected, do to curtail the influence of powerful lobby groups?"

I imagine you have seen the movie Sloane my pet hate is lobbing by vested interest groups who are also party donors. just looking at the numbers, it tells you theirs something wrong

https://lobbyists.pmc.gov.au/who_register.cfm

While the 2 party system remains they will want to keep the status quo, However, if the PPAU and others can get seats in government, they could expose the system using the cover of parliament, at some point you would hope people would stand up and say stop. But once elected officials get on that gravy train.

Whistle-blowers have the best instrument of change in the last 10 years, we just need to get more people into positions with access to the information to blow that whistle.

May no arms be twisted in relation to these elections.

May it not be synonymous with freedom from something.

May the words defacto and dejure actually be written on paper implying mostly Australian citizens. With at least a general idea what a VPN is.

May kings seek asylum here or even value if they so request. May they not seek kingdom.

May it be again.

1 Like

Placeholder point in the thread to mark questions for prospective candidate @Pauld in the December 2018 preselection round.

Here’s something to ask, the right differently as the left:

How do you expect to seat your electorate?

What music do you propose for your electorate? .

What kind of alcohol do you propose for your electorate?

What kind of drugs do you suppose are in use with your electorate, both above board and below board?

1. Pass
  2. On chairs
  3. Bring your own
  4. Rubbing
  5. Coffee and Aspro (in my world, everything is above board or over board)

A few questions. Not sure if they have been asked/answered elsewhere, but:

• Some PP members seem to have an affiliation with Unions. Is the PP affiliated with Unions and draw funding from them?
  • Has much thought been given to a new party name? I see there have been a few revisions over the years, but I feel the name will be made fun of and any good intentions or policies swept aside under a tidal wave of Murdoch bad press. Should you gain any traction, he would simply let through via his editors an avalanche of joke coverage.

yep.

and

tl;dr … we’re still Pirates

I can’t help but feel, that if special interests thought The PP were any sort of threat, then through their media assets, PP would be carpet bombed with disinformation and poisoning of the well of public perception about PP, through simple things like RRRRRR The PP me hearties. And made into a joke that people should distance themselves from.

Others feel/felt the same, some to the point of leaving PPAU. Those discussions took a lot of energy and time that could have been spent elsewhere. It’s been while and I for one am glad it’s done.

Bring it on!

pfft …

20161007123217-c7aa12aa-me

2 Likes

I actually don’t mind that. But PPAU won’t dictate how the public at large will perceive the PPAU, the media will and not many will give it a fair hearing I’m afraid. I guess you feel any publicity is good publicity. And fortunately, more people are developing a distrust of the main two parties. But on that, anyone in the know, realise that PHON and Clive Palmer will nearly always side with their own core values, which are closer to the Coalition. Same with the Shooters and Fishers and car enthusiasts. The Greens more often than not side with Labor.

I didn’t get an answer to my question about union affiliation, but if the PPAU has union affiliation, won’t it simply be viewed as Labor light? That is what the right-leaning talking heads will say I imagine and Labor itself will say, if you want strong union representation, then stick with Labor.

Perhaps this is not a problem for PPAU. I don’t understand enough of the strategy and dynamics of the party. These are just personal observations.

Now for the dumb arse questions morning breakfast shows would ask. A question (perhaps rhetorical) I might expect asked considering the image above. If you are pirates, the pita internet ones, then do you support internet piracy? And pirates typically engaged in illegal activities. Does the party support illegal activities? Setting aside the hypocrisy of that statement for a sec, considering both Labor and the Coalition have been complicit in a foreign policy that includes theft and murder.

And on that topic. What is the PPAU’s policy on “terrorists”, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria and other Middle East countries we are involved with? What is the position on Russia and China?

1 Like

We have no union affiliation.

Supporting illegal activities is specifically forbidden in our constitution.

However, there is a significant distinction between pirates and common criminals that you should understand.
Have you noticed that we have pirate themed parties for our kids, but never thieves and murderers themed parties? There’s a reason for this.

Throughout history, pirates emerge when intolerable conditions are imposed on common men & women by the powerful elites of a civilisation. You can even see this in the modern day Somali pirates. They exist because their only livelihood (fishing) was destroyed by European fishing fleets.

The Pirate political movement started when the USA forced their copyright regime on Sweden under pressure via trade agreement, and the Swedish population saw it as an affront to their cultural perspective on sharing (being a good thing and fundamental to community). The USA copyright industry called them Pirates, and so they adopted the name and almost overnight created a political movement.that spread globally.

1 Like

Pretty sure we don’t like terrorism as a thing at all.
We do have a defence policy, and it’s focus is to be defence, not offence capable.

What foreign policy we have is here:
https://pirateparty.org.au/wiki/Platform#Foreign_policy

Maybe you’d like to propose some more?

Thankyou for clearing that up. Upon reading the about page of your members, I took it the party did.

This is encouraging that this is acknowledged.

Thanks, I will check it out.